Wyoming State Museum Volunteers, Inc.
The mission of the State Museum Volunteers, Inc., shall be to support the Wyoming State Museum in fulfilling its statewide role to collect, care for, exhibit and interpret its collection.
The organization was incorporated with the State of Wyoming on April 22, 1974 as the Wyoming State Art Gallery Volunteers, Inc. In 1980, to reflect increased responsibilities, the volunteers changed their name to the Wyoming State Art Gallery and Museum Volunteers, Inc. Four years later, the name was simplified to State Museum Volunteers, Inc. In 1987, the State Museum Volunteers, Inc., was granted 501(c)(iii) status from the Internal Revenue Service, making it a not-for-profit organization.
From their inception over thirty years ago, the State Museum Volunteers, Inc. has been instrumental in assisting the education programs of the Wyoming State Museum. Their tie to the programming activities of the museum remains strong today. Volunteers at the Wyoming State Museum are an important link between the museum's professional services and the public it serves. In human terms, they represent the museum's mission to the public.
Become a volunteer at the Wyoming State Museum, where you may:
Here is a sample of the areas in which you might like to play a role:
- work behind the scenes
- learn from museum professionals
- interact with the public
- share through community outreach
- select weekday or Saturday shifts
State Museum Volunteers, Inc., membership benefits include:
- Information Desk Attendant
- Special Events Participant
- Collections Assistant
- Archives Assistant
- Education Assistant
Contact the State Museum Volunteers, Inc. by phone at (307) 777-7021.
- previews of new exhibits and galleries
- subscription to The Volunteer Vaquero, the monthly newsletter
- 15% discount in the Museum Store
- field trips to museums and other special places in the region
- association with friendly and supportive State Museum staff
- being part of the only state museum dedicated to preserving Wyoming's heritage and meeting people who share that interest.
State Museum Volunteers, Inc.
Wyoming State Museum
2301 Central Ave.
Cheyenne, WY 82002